The CBI, probing the Saradha financial scam, late Saturday night arrested Kolkata-based businessman Sandhir Agarwal after a marathon grilling session, which lasted more than eight hours.
The agency let go the former DG of West Bengal armed police, Rajat Majumdar, who was also interrogated for more than seven hours. Majumdar, however, may be summoned again for questioning, CBI sources said.
Sandhir, the son of businessman Sajjan Agarwal, was arrested around 10.30 pm and became the second high-profile person, after East Bengal Club executive Debabrata Sarkar, to be apprehended in connection with the multi-crore scam in West Bengal.
Earlier, Saradha Group CMD Sudipta Sen in his tell-all letter to the CBI had mentioned the names of the businessmen father-son duo. He had said the two were “well connected” to the senior officials in the the market regulator bodies. Sarkar was allegedly the link man between Sen and the Agarwals.
According to CBI sources, Sandhir’s statement did not match with what Sarkar had told the sleuths during interrogation. Sandhir’s father, Sajjan Agarwal, who was also called for interrogation, failed to appear before CBI citing poor health. He will be summoned again.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Meanwhile, CBI, also interrogated former DG Rajat Majumdar days after the agency sleuths conducted search operations at his Bhawanipore residence. According to sources, Majumdar and Sudipta Sen were interrogated together.
Top CBI sources indicated that Majumdar may be summoned again as there were discrepancies in his statement and that of Sen.
A cultural programme, ‘Banga Sammelan’ organised by Majumdar in the USA and sponsored by Sen is also under CBI scanner as the investigators found several gaps in the financial statements related to the function. Several intellectuals, artistes, cultural personalities and politicians were taken to Las Vegas in USA to attend the programme held in 2012.
After having retired from the police service, Majumdar had joined the Saradha Group as a security consultant and is believed to have been involved with the firm’s daily operations. Majumdar, later joined the Trinamool Congress and also became its vice-president.
The investigators today summoned two accountants of the Saradha Group whom Sen mentioned in the letter as ‘honest employees’ who have the transaction details of the company.