Burdwan blast: 1 more held, six absconders identified

The NIA has almost completed its first phase of investigation in which it has seized several documents and identified the absconders.

By: Express News Service | Kolkata | Published:October 26, 2014 4:12 am
A bomb squad personnel of CID defuses crude bombs recovered from a primary health centre at Sattore in Birbhum district of West Bengal on Saturday. (Express) A bomb squad personnel of CID defuses crude bombs recovered from a primary health centre at Sattore in Birbhum district of West Bengal on Saturday. (Express)

The National Investigation Agency has identified six absconders in connection with the Burdwan blast case and is now in the process of announcing cash reward for any information leading to the arrest of the absconders, said a senior official of the NIA.

The agency, meanwhile, arrested another person, Seesh Mohammad from Jamshedpur, in connection with the blast that took place on October 2 in which two persons were killed. It is learnt that Mohammad was detained by the NIA from Mangaon area in Jamshedpur late Friday night. Sources claimed he is a relative of a senior member of the Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB).

The agency’s Director General, Sharad Kumar, had visited Burdwan on Friday to take stock of the ongoing investigation, and later held an administrative meeting with the NIA officials.

The NIA is now investigating if the bank robbery in Hyderabad on February 1 earlier this year was carried out to fund the bomb-making unit in Burdwan where blast took place. “We are still working if there is a link between these two cases. We have interrogated some persons in connection with the cases,” an agency official said.

The NIA has almost completed its first phase of investigation in which it has seized several documents and identified the absconders.

Video of the day

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results