Citing losses, state BJP leader Chandan Mitra on Thursday said it is time for Kolkata and Haldia ports to go through their much-needed revamp.
“I have had a word with and he had immediately initiated the process. We have noticed that the Kolkata Port Trust, which was running at a profit until a few years ago, is now incurring losses. The revamp work will be done in collaboration with the Centre,” Mitra said, adding that he has spoken to Union Shipping and Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari about it and has been assured that steps will be immediately taken in this regard.
Mitra also alleged that the transloading contract have been handed over to a handful of companies at a very low price without passing any tenders which is the norm. “Gadkari has ordered that no contract would be awarded without a proper tendering process,” he said.
The BJP leader also spoke highly of a strengthened Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh, saying it will play a more active role in straightening things at the port area.
“There will be more dredging and more transloading, resulting in more income for the government.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The day also saw nearly 100 Trinamool Congress supporters from South 24 Parganas and some ex-servicemen joining the state BJP.