A DAY after a historysheeter was arrested for allegedly duping government officials by posing as a IPS officer and tricking them into investing in bogus welfare schemes, it has come to light that he is allegedly a member of CPM. Palash Mondal, who was arrested along with his associate Manowar Sheikh by the CID on Thursday from Rejinagar in Murshidabad, is a full-time member of the CPM, said sources in the CID. “Mondal had good terms with late senior CPM leader Binay Kongar, who had introduced him to then MLA of Chapra in Nadia,” said an official.
Watch What Else Is Making News
Sources said Mondal used to pose as principal secretary (Prisons) Shivaji Ghosh, while Sheikh would be his personal secretary. The duo would procure phone numbers of SDOs and jailors from the district magistrate’s office and then call them to demand money. Officials said Mondal had received money from Bolpur block divisional officer to promote him as the Asansol sub-divisional officer. “He had collected the money in Kolkata in 2011. He had also duped the East Midnapore district magistrate in 2010 in the name of a helping a poor student. Mondal had six to eight bank accounts,” said a CID official.
The interrogation has further revealed that Mondal allegedly called up Tamluk Correctional Home sub jailor Biswaroop Singh posing as Shivaji Ghosh. On October 25, Singh lodged a complaint with the police alleging that the accused had demanded money a patient’s treatment in south India and that he doubted his version. The CID traced the call to Murshidabad and arrested Mondal and Sheikh.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
When contacted, Sheikh’s father Rehmotolla Sheikh said: “My son is being used by Palash. He is a student of Class XII in Murshidabad. Palash had recently come to my house. We had no clue what they were doing. Yesterday I came to know that he has been arrested.” The two have been remanded to police custody for 14 days.