A 20-year old tribal woman was allegedly gangraped at Labhpur in Birbhum district by 13 persons as they were apparently against her affair with a man from a different community.
Reacting to the incident, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has ordered the removal of the Superintendent of Police of the region.
Police said all the 13 accused have been arrested while the woman is in a very critical condition at Suri Hospital after her rape on Tuesday night.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The woman’s family filed a complaint with the Labhpur police station that the incident happened following a meeting by her community leaders who decided to mete out the ‘punishment’ for her ‘crime’ of being in love with someone outside her community.
Refusing to give details, ASP Prashanta Chowdhury said “prima facie, she was gangraped and we have rounded up 13 persons. No more details.”
The youth with whom the girl reportedly had an affair has also been arrested apart from the 13 locals who have been slapped with charges of gangrape and causing grievous injury to a woman, police sources said. The charges against the youth are not clear.
A section of locals told the media the incident took place after a kangaroo court of tribals gave the shocking ‘verdict’ but this could not be officially confirmed.
A teenaged tribal girl was paraded naked in the district four years ago for the same reason, which had sparked an outrage in the state and women’s organisations were up in arms.