A 20-year old tribal woman was allegedly gangraped at Labhpur in Birbhum district by 13 persons as they were apparently against her affair with a man from a different community.
Reacting to the incident, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has ordered the removal of the Superintendent of Police of the region.
Police said all the 13 accused have been arrested while the woman is in a very critical condition at Suri Hospital after her rape on Tuesday night.
The woman’s family filed a complaint with the Labhpur police station that the incident happened following a meeting by her community leaders who decided to mete out the ‘punishment’ for her ‘crime’ of being in love with someone outside her community.
Refusing to give details, ASP Prashanta Chowdhury said “prima facie, she was gangraped and we have rounded up 13 persons. No more details.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The youth with whom the girl reportedly had an affair has also been arrested apart from the 13 locals who have been slapped with charges of gangrape and causing grievous injury to a woman, police sources said. The charges against the youth are not clear.
A section of locals told the media the incident took place after a kangaroo court of tribals gave the shocking ‘verdict’ but this could not be officially confirmed.
A teenaged tribal girl was paraded naked in the district four years ago for the same reason, which had sparked an outrage in the state and women’s organisations were up in arms.