In what was described as a ‘little reverse swing’ by the newly appointed state Congress president Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, around 100 TMC supporters, including Nandarani Sardar, the pradhan of Daria Gram Panchayat under Canning I, defected to the Congress Sunday.
“It is a little reverse swing and the TMC leaders. TMC must understand that it is a little spark that will start a huge fire. Those who had switched to TMC are already realising their mistake and this reverse trend shows that the resentment towards the ruling party has begun,” Chwodhury said welcoming the new members.
He said, those who wanted to return to Congress are welcome and “they would get the respect, which they had while they were in party.”
Other than Chowdhury, senior Congress leaders such as Somen Mitra, Manas Bhuniya, Pradeep Bhattacharya and Abdul Mannan were present as the TMC supporters joined Congress formally.
Asked why she joined Congress, Nandarani Sardar said, “We are not happy with the (TMC) leadership. We don’t want to be associated with it at the cost of our self-respect.”
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Veteran leader Somen Mitra said, “I returned to Congress from TMC, owing to the same reason. We had supported ‘paribartan’ but we obviously didn’t want to see that the leadership being handed over to people like Anubrata Mondal who threaten candidates of other parties and instigate people to attack policemen. It is sad to see the chief minister giving a clean chit to an accused like Mondal who has been named in the FIR.” He also said that it was only a matter of time before many others from different areas of Hooghly joined the Congress.
Manas Bhuniya said that it was the beginning of the turnaround process of Congress. “Unlike what happens at the TMC camp, we have not threatened, enticed or forced these people to join Congress. They have come to Congress because they had lost their identity in TMC,” he said.
Referring to the CM’s comment on Trinamool Birbhum district president Anubrata Mondal, Adhir said the CM was demeaning the court order.