In what was described as a ‘little reverse swing’ by the newly appointed state Congress president Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, around 100 TMC supporters, including Nandarani Sardar, the pradhan of Daria Gram Panchayat under Canning I, defected to the Congress Sunday.
“It is a little reverse swing and the TMC leaders. TMC must understand that it is a little spark that will start a huge fire. Those who had switched to TMC are already realising their mistake and this reverse trend shows that the resentment towards the ruling party has begun,” Chwodhury said welcoming the new members.
He said, those who wanted to return to Congress are welcome and “they would get the respect, which they had while they were in party.”
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Other than Chowdhury, senior Congress leaders such as Somen Mitra, Manas Bhuniya, Pradeep Bhattacharya and Abdul Mannan were present as the TMC supporters joined Congress formally.
Asked why she joined Congress, Nandarani Sardar said, “We are not happy with the (TMC) leadership. We don’t want to be associated with it at the cost of our self-respect.”
Veteran leader Somen Mitra said, “I returned to Congress from TMC, owing to the same reason. We had supported ‘paribartan’ but we obviously didn’t want to see that the leadership being handed over to people like Anubrata Mondal who threaten candidates of other parties and instigate people to attack policemen. It is sad to see the chief minister giving a clean chit to an accused like Mondal who has been named in the FIR.” He also said that it was only a matter of time before many others from different areas of Hooghly joined the Congress.
Manas Bhuniya said that it was the beginning of the turnaround process of Congress. “Unlike what happens at the TMC camp, we have not threatened, enticed or forced these people to join Congress. They have come to Congress because they had lost their identity in TMC,” he said.
Referring to the CM’s comment on Trinamool Birbhum district president Anubrata Mondal, Adhir said the CM was demeaning the court order.