Minister of State for Railways Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury today, after a meeting with frontal Congress leaders, urged senior leaders in the state to exercise restrain while speaking to the media.
“The list of candidates prepared is not our prerogative but that of the All India Congress Committee’s. If anyone is unhappy with somebody’s candidature, there is provision for discussion within the party. It was not appropriate of the senior leaders to talk to the media,” Chowdhury, president of the West Bengal Pradesh Congress Committee, said in reference to the statements of party leader Abdul Mannan who had claimed of leaving politics after his suggestion on the candidature for Hooghly and Arambagh Lok Sabha seat had been ignored by the party high-command.
The meeting was held to discuss Congress’s poll strategy in the state. Speaking to the reporters afterwards, Chowdhury took a jibe at CM Mamata Banerjee for being forced into “limiting her campaign operation only to Bengal”.
“She had tried to win the people of Delhi over, riding on (the support of) Anna Hazare but fell flat on her face. She did it out of desperation and, in the process, demeaned Bengal in front of the rest of the country. Now she has cut down on her area of operation and is on a campaign trail only in Bengal than going to different parts of the country,” he said.
Reacting to Gorkha Janmukti Morcha president Bimal Gurung’s anticipation of trouble after the party announced support to BJP candidate in Darjeeling, Chowdhury said: “It is very much possible because the present government hardly adheres to any rule.”
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review