- Maha defeat for Congress
- Despite odds, a consolation
- NOTA beats smaller parties, tribals use it most
- Power shift: BJP may eye co-operative bodies next
- At 88, PWP MLA Ganpatrao Deshmukh wins his 11th Assembly polls
- Many BJP ‘imports’ fail election test despite Modi rallies
- Corruption taint spurs INLD debacle, Chautala scion loses
5,000 GJM men join Trinamool
In a major jolt to Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, around 5,000 of its supporters have joined TMC. Tea workers from 14 tea gardens in Alipurduar constituency have shifted their allegiance to TMC today. Significantly, the support base of GJM in the Dooars region mainly comprises the tea workers from the area.
“Every day, people from GJM and adivasi (tribal) factions are joining us. Around 5000 tea workers at Madarihat assembly segment joined us today. They have lost faith in GJM,” said Manoj Nandy, TMC general secretary in Alipurduar.
Dasharath Tirkey, former RSP MLA and TMC candidate from Alipurduar, said: “We are receiving positive response from the people in this region. It used to be a support base of RSP and while some pockets were controlled by GJM.”
However, GJM general secretary Roshan Giri denied any such news of shift in party’s support base. “We have a very strong base in Madarihat, Malbazzar and Kalchini area. They are worried about that and that is why they are trying to motivate people,” he said.