- Bollywood should take a stand on temporary ban on Pakistan artistes, says MoS Babul Supriyo
- Why were “Jag Ghumiya” and “Dil Diyan Gallan” not pulled up for using Pakistani voices, asks Welcome To New York composer
- Babul Supriyo asks for a ban on Pakistani artists, wants Rahat Fateh Ali Khan’s voice to be removed from latest song
More than 20 BJP supporters from different parts of Birbhhum were Wednesday injured in attacks while on their way to a party rally in the district. The rally was addressed by state BJP chief Rahul Sinha and party’s Asansol MP Babul Supriyo.
It is alleged that TMC supporters ransacked 22 buses ferrying BJP supporters at Parui, Kasba and Labhpur areas of Balargram village. They allegedly pelted the buses with stones and attacked the BJP supporters with rods and sticks .
The injured were first brought to the rally venue at Dak Bungalow Ground in Bolpur and then taken to Bolpur Sub Divisional Hospital.
Sinha alleged the attack was pre-planned. “They (TMC supporters) had launched attacks in the adjoining areas of Bolpur since Tuesday night. Our supporters were beaten up and warned against attending the rally. They, however, turned up at the venue, sending out a strong message to the ruling party that a true change would come about soon in the state,” said Sinha. He also accused the police and administration of bias.
Supriyo said it was not possible to stop BJP supporters. “We will bring about a real change in 2016, when Bengal will be free from violence and killings.”
Sources said Sinha has written to the party high command, requesting a visit of the newly elected party president Amit Shah to Bengal. “We have requested his (Shah’s) visit but no date or time has been fixed as yet,” Sinha said.
BJP’s Birbhum district president Doot Kumar Mondal said the ruling party was “making Bengal’s future gory, filled with bloodshed”. He has filed a written complaint at the Bolpur Police Station. No one has been arrested so far.
Meanwhile, TMC refuted all allegations. “BJP wants to hit the headlines, which is why its workers engineered the attack. People in Birbhum still support Anubrata Mondal (party’s district president,” said sports minister Madan Mitra.
Mondal added the party had nothing to do with the attack. “The charges are false. I would request the BJP to put in a written complaint and if any of our partymen are found guilty, action would be taken against them. The venue has a capacity of 1.5 lakh people and hardly 3,000 people attended the function,” he said.