The police in Duttapukur arrested two men late Tuesday night for beating up a man who had confronted the duo on their ‘habit of consuming liquor in the open”.
One Srikanta Baidya, a resident of Muraipara, who is also a member of the protest forum formed soon after the gruesome killing of student-activist Sourav Chowdhury, was reportedly on his way home when two men beat him up on the platform of the Bamangachhi railway station.
A senior member of the forum said “Baidya had objected to their drinking habits and so he was beaten up”.
Of the two arrested – Amjad Ali and Biswajit Biswas – Ali is the nephew of local TMC panchayat member Hanif Mondal.
A senior official of Duttapukur police station said the two were produced before the local court which remanded them to one-day police custody.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The brother of the 19-year-old slain student spoke against the incident involving Baidya and said “if the authorities don’t wake up now, there will be more such deaths like my brother”.
Chowdhury was found chopped into pieces on railway tracks on July 5 for allegedly starting a drive against illegal hooch dens in the area.