The police in Duttapukur arrested two men late Tuesday night for beating up a man who had confronted the duo on their ‘habit of consuming liquor in the open”.
One Srikanta Baidya, a resident of Muraipara, who is also a member of the protest forum formed soon after the gruesome killing of student-activist Sourav Chowdhury, was reportedly on his way home when two men beat him up on the platform of the Bamangachhi railway station.
A senior member of the forum said “Baidya had objected to their drinking habits and so he was beaten up”.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Of the two arrested – Amjad Ali and Biswajit Biswas – Ali is the nephew of local TMC panchayat member Hanif Mondal.
A senior official of Duttapukur police station said the two were produced before the local court which remanded them to one-day police custody.
The brother of the 19-year-old slain student spoke against the incident involving Baidya and said “if the authorities don’t wake up now, there will be more such deaths like my brother”.
Chowdhury was found chopped into pieces on railway tracks on July 5 for allegedly starting a drive against illegal hooch dens in the area.