A NATIONAL-LEVEL woman volleyball player was on Friday stabbed to death in broad daylight, allegedly by another player, in North-24 Parganas district’s Barasat.
The victim, Sangeeta Aich (15), was reportedly attacked with a sickle by Subrata Sinha alias Raja, with whom she allegedly had a strained relationship. According to sources, the two were in a relationship but it had hit a rough patch a few months ago. While Aich was a resident of Barasat, Sinha — also a national-level volleyball player — lives in Jagaddal in the district.
- 21-year-old attempts suicide after stabbing ‘girlfriend’, arrested
- Manohar Aich aka Pocket Hercules dies at 104: ‘Was inspiration for all’
- Barasat: 15-year-old volleyball player stabbed to death, accused surrenders before police
- David Miller sorry for shot that hit cop’s eye
- IPL 8: Police constable in Kolkata loses eye after hit by David Miller six
- Barasat rape: Aparna Sen,others protest against rising crimes against women
The incident took place when Aich was attending a camp in Barasat. Sinha reportedly hit Aich several times on the head and then fled the spot. Aich was rushed to the hospital, where doctors declared her brought dead on arrival.
The incident took place in front of around 25 volleyball players and three coaches. Sources said when one of the coaches tried to come to Aich’s rescue, he was also hit by the sickle. “The youth hit the girl with a sharp-edged weapon several times at Natunpukur locality and fled,” SP Tanmay Roychowdhury said.
Joyprakash Pandey, in-charge of Barasat police station, which is investigating the case, said: “The accused, whose residence is in Jagaddal, is absconding. We are carrying out raids to arrest Sinha, who is also a national level voleyball player.”
Aich, a student of Class IX of Barasat Girls’ High School, had played two under-14 national and three state level championships. She used to train at Natunpukur Volleyball Association in Barasat. “She was very talented and had performed well in last year’s Under-14 National Volleyball Championship in Tamil Nadu,” said Sanatan Hazra, her coach.