At least 10 persons were injured and seven houses were set on fire after a clash broke out between workers of the ruling Trinamool Congress and opposition BJP at a village here on Monday, police said.
The clash took place in Purba Krishnapur village under Arambagh Police Station over the control of lifting sand from Mundeswari river, Superintendent of Police Sunil Chowdhury said, adding, one BJP worker was arrested in this connection.
The incident was followed by the return of Jainal Abedin, an alleged ‘sand mafia’, to the village who was not staying here due to political reasons, police said. Abedin who was initially in CPI and later joined Congress and then BJP allegedly used to control the illegal sand mining from Mundeswari river.
Alleging that Abedin was a ‘sand mafia’, TMC’s Pursura MLA Pervez Rehman said the villagers “panicked” after seeing him in the village. Abedin had killed the wife of a TMC supporter, the MLA alleged, and said no TMC worker was involved in the incident. However, local BJP leader Nasirudding Mullick said that TMC workers torched houses of Abedin and six others this morning without any provocation.
They also assaulted Abedin’s brother following which “people got angry”, he said. Three of the 10 injured in the clash, in which bombs were also used, were admitted to a hospital, the SP said, adding, Rapid Action Force personnel were deployed at the village. The situation is now under control, he said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More