Panel summons DGP over transfer of dalit IPS officer

Pankaj Chaudhary was shifted to RAC, Delhi from the post of SP, Bundi

Written by Mahim Pratap Singh | Jaipur | Published:December 24, 2015 12:16 am

The National Commission for Scheduled Castes has summoned the Director General of Police, seeking an explanation regarding the transfer of IPS officer Pankaj Chaudhary from the post of SP in Bundi to the Rajasthan Armed Constabulary in New Delhi.

Chaudhary was transferred out of Bundi following communal riots in Bundi and Nainwa towns last year. The 2009 batch IPS officer had termed the move politically motivated, alleging he was transferred after his action against members of VHP and Bajrang Dal for inciting riots.

Earlier, on November 30, the NCSC had asked the state government about the officer’s transfer, to which the government had replied saying it was a “routine administrative exercise” conducted in “public interest”. “It is not enough to justify that his transfer is in public interest. In fact, the circumstances (that led) the authority to transfer him (need to be explained)…also the authority has to ensure that there was no bias/discrimination or any political tool in case of the transfer (and that it did not) violate the transfer policy. For which all related official papers are required to be furnished,” reads the NCSC notice dated December 17.

“The case of transfer of Shri Pankaj Kumar may please be explained with supporting papers in the hearing with you, in person on 30-12-2015 at the circuit house in Udaipur with Hon’ble member Shri Raju Parmar of the commission,” it further reads.

On September 14, the Rajasthan government served a chargesheet to Chaudhary, then posted as the chief of the 11th Battalion of the Rajasthan Armed Constabulary in New Delhi, by the Rajasthan government, which accused him of not acting in time to tackle the riots in Bundi’s Nainwa and Khanpur on September 12, 2014.

However, Chaudhary said he was removed from the post for resisting pressure from the administration, including senior IAS and IPS officers, to let the rioters-members of Bajrang Dal and VHP-go and “register false cases” against Muslims instead.

Since then, Chaudhary said he has sent at least four reminders to the government, seeking certain documents he requires to draft his reply to the chargesheet. “But there has been no response from the government at all. Maybe they are scared that my reply might expose certain key people in power,” he said.

Video of the day

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results