Principals of several DU college on Monday raised concerns about the application of University guidelines which require colleges to admit reserved category students on the basis of the actual intake,instead of the sanctioned strength.
Following directions issued by the Ministry of Human Resource Development,Delhi University on Monday had asked colleges to ensure that admissions for SC,ST and OBC students are made on the basis of actual intake and not sanctioned strength.
While 15 per cent seats are reserved for SCs,the figure for STs and OBCs stands at 7.5 per cent and 27 per cent respectively.
According to the letter issued by the university,the reservation percentages are to be maintained on the total admissions made,(excluding the supernumerary admissions on account of sports/ECA,foreign students,children/widows of eligible armed forces personnel,persons with disability).
Colleges have also been asked to inform the DU registrar by July 19 if a higher number of SC/ST students is required to be admitted to ensure the requisite reservation percentage of the total admission.
President of the Principals Association,S K Garg,said the new directives will jeopardise the whole admission process as the general category intake keeps fluctuating.
In a letter to the university,Dr Deepak Malhotra,principal of Dyal Singh (Evening) College,said,This is a clear infringement on the universitys autonomy. Any decision on this issue should be made after consulting the academic and executive councils. In an earlier meeting of the high-powered committee of principals,it had been decided that SC,ST and OBC candidates will be admitted on the basis of the sanctioned strength and not the actual intake,he said.
Hindu College principal Pradyumn Kumar said,It is difficult to ascertain the actual intake of general category students at this point because many students are withdrawing admissions. How can we calculate the reserved category seats if the strength keeps changing on a daily basis? Moreover,students withdraw admissions till September because the results of various engineering and medical entrance exams come out only later.
He also said he was not sure if OBC admissions need to be re-opened in courses where OBC seats (reserved on the basis of the sanctioned strength) have been filled.
The university should provide us with a logical method or mechanism through which these guidelines can be put to practice, said Pradyumn Kumar.
Responding to issues raised by the principals,Dr Kedar Mandal,President of Academic Forum for Social Justice (a DU teachers front),said,Withdrawals take place in every category. Colleges should not use this as an excuse for not admitting reserved category students on the basis of the actual intake in general category.