Doodling is one of life’s little treasures; creating repetitive patterns out of nothing has got one past a crazy day at work, or even a boring day at home. When US-based artist Maria Thomas and a monk named Rick Roberts decided to turn it into an artform, no one thought it could work or find takers, let alone students. But Sampada Aggarwal decided to give it a shot and approached Thomas and Roberts to learn Zentangle, the delicate skill of using structured patterns, usually drawn by a micron pen. Aggarwal, now a Zentangle instructor, was in Delhi to conduct a workshop. Excerpts from an interview:
How did you hear of Zentangle?
I am a self-taught artist and was exploring new and old artforms. I accidentally came across Zentangle while surfing the Net one evening, in October 2011. The intricate patterns caught my eye and I was drawn into the beautiful and seemingly complicated patterns. The idea of using simple tools like paper and pen in this day and age of technology intrigued me. After a few months of exploring the art on my own, I realised that I wanted to be able to impart this knowledge to others.
How does lazy doodling transform into something so creative?
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
This method is the exact opposite of doodling. It is a mindful activity that requires your complete focus and concentration. It provides clear steps that take the guesswork out of the equation.
What does Zentangle mean to artists and non-artists?
Zentangle is an evolving artform that has become a movement. Established artists find new creative sparks out of this method. Non-artists find this method a step towards creativity. Teachers say it is a tool to generate focus and concentration in their students.
Can this artform survive the test of time?
It has the potential to cater to the needs of the young and the old. Creating designs, manipulating symbols and putting pen to paper is part of our human heritage. In a time of keyboards, computer mice, and cellphones, the simple strokes that are part of the Zentangle automatically engage you in a comfort and familiarity of timeless, basic creativity.
(The writer is an EXIMS student)