Doodling is one of life’s little treasures; creating repetitive patterns out of nothing has got one past a crazy day at work, or even a boring day at home. When US-based artist Maria Thomas and a monk named Rick Roberts decided to turn it into an artform, no one thought it could work or find takers, let alone students. But Sampada Aggarwal decided to give it a shot and approached Thomas and Roberts to learn Zentangle, the delicate skill of using structured patterns, usually drawn by a micron pen. Aggarwal, now a Zentangle instructor, was in Delhi to conduct a workshop. Excerpts from an interview:
How did you hear of Zentangle?
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
I am a self-taught artist and was exploring new and old artforms. I accidentally came across Zentangle while surfing the Net one evening, in October 2011. The intricate patterns caught my eye and I was drawn into the beautiful and seemingly complicated patterns. The idea of using simple tools like paper and pen in this day and age of technology intrigued me. After a few months of exploring the art on my own, I realised that I wanted to be able to impart this knowledge to others.
How does lazy doodling transform into something so creative?
This method is the exact opposite of doodling. It is a mindful activity that requires your complete focus and concentration. It provides clear steps that take the guesswork out of the equation.
What does Zentangle mean to artists and non-artists?
Zentangle is an evolving artform that has become a movement. Established artists find new creative sparks out of this method. Non-artists find this method a step towards creativity. Teachers say it is a tool to generate focus and concentration in their students.
Can this artform survive the test of time?
It has the potential to cater to the needs of the young and the old. Creating designs, manipulating symbols and putting pen to paper is part of our human heritage. In a time of keyboards, computer mice, and cellphones, the simple strokes that are part of the Zentangle automatically engage you in a comfort and familiarity of timeless, basic creativity.
(The writer is an EXIMS student)