A 25-year-old youth tried to set himself ablaze outside Home Minister Rajnath Singh’s residence at Ashoka Road here these evening in the heart of the national capital.
According to police, the incident took place around 5:15 pm when the youth, who was later identified as Dabbu poured kerosene and tried to self-immolate near the railing.
- Rajnath accuses Pakistan of instigating J-K youth, encouraging anti-India sentiment in valley
- Constable’s son ‘kills self’ after being investigated for abetment to suicide
- Case against Rajasthan minister’s sons: Complainant’s kin alleges pressure to settle matter
- Assembly election results: Rajnath takes dig at new Cong chief Rahul Gandhi, says 'sar mundvate hi ole padh gaye'
- If someone formed govts by setting fire, it is Congress: Rajnath Singh hits back at Rahul
- BSP leader Rajesh Yadav shot dead near Allahabad University; supporters turn violent, set ablaze bus
“Security personnel deployed at Home Minister’s residence quickly overpowered him before he could set himself afire. He was taken to RML hospital in a semi-conscious state. We are waiting for him to come to senses so that we can record his statement and know the reason behind his step,” said a senior police official.
There were cut marks on his hands and we have asked doctors to see whether he was under the influence of alcohol when the incident took place. Further investigations are underway, he added.