A 25-year-old youth tried to set himself ablaze outside Home Minister Rajnath Singh’s residence at Ashoka Road here these evening in the heart of the national capital.
According to police, the incident took place around 5:15 pm when the youth, who was later identified as Dabbu poured kerosene and tried to self-immolate near the railing.
- Punjab: Denied drugs, local Congress leader’s son shoots self
- UP govt to study SC order on ex-CMs retaining official residences: Maya to Akhilesh to Rajnath, all hit
- Rajnath Singh: Must act with restraint, respect towards everyone
- Day after girl alleged rape by BJP MLA, her father dies in custody; four arrested
- Accusing BJP MLA of sexual assault, woman tries to self-immolate near CM Yogi Adityanath’s house
- Haridwar VHP leader tries to immolate himself over demand to shut down meat shops; suffers burns
“Security personnel deployed at Home Minister’s residence quickly overpowered him before he could set himself afire. He was taken to RML hospital in a semi-conscious state. We are waiting for him to come to senses so that we can record his statement and know the reason behind his step,” said a senior police official.
There were cut marks on his hands and we have asked doctors to see whether he was under the influence of alcohol when the incident took place. Further investigations are underway, he added.