A 20-year-old was stabbed to death by five persons, some of them suspected to be minors, in a busy market in Southeast Delhi’s Ambedkar Nagar area on Tuesday afternoon.
The CCTV footage from the market shows that no one came to his rescue. The footage helped police identify the assailants, who were later apprehended.
The victim Sachin was stabbed 15 times and died on the spot, police said.
The CCTV footage that was accessed by police shows the assailants surrounding Sachin, who is seen on a motorcycle.
They punched him and stabbed him several times, while passersby watched.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The assailants also fired two rounds in the air to scare onlookers and then fled the spot.
“The entire sequence was captured by the CCTV cameras and it led to the identification of the accused. We apprehended and questioned the assailants thoroughly,” DCP (Southeast)P Karunakaran said.
Police said the assailants own kiosks and makeshift shops in the market. They claimed they attacked Sachin because he was extorting money on a weekly basis. Police said they were still verifying this claim.
Karunakaran said the assailants told police that they were beaten up if they didn’t pay.
Tired of being at the receiving end, they hatched a plot to eliminate him. “The assailants confessed that they planned the killing over two days and arranged knives and pistols. One of the assailants contacted his friend in Haridwar and arranged country-made pistols which were used to scare the onlookers,” he said.
“We are checking if Sachin had a past police record. But we have still not found any official complaint or any FIR registered against him,” the officer said.
Denying all allegations, Sachin’s cousin Ravi said, “He never fought with anyone. I can never believe that he was extorting money from shopowners in the market. He was the only son and is survived by his father, who works as a scrapdealer, and six sisters. That day he had gone to meet one his friends in the market, when these six, who were under the influence of alcohol, cornered him. They had come to kill one of Sachin’s friends, my cousin was unlucky. When they did not find his friend, they attacked him.”
“There is no criminal case against him. No one ever complained that he misbehaved with him. He used to study and help his father in the business,” Ravi said.
Police said they were verifying the age of all assailants as some are suspected to be juveniles. Statements of eyewitnesses are also being recorded.
Police have registered a case. “We are also verifying the claims of the assailants. The matter is under investigation. We have sent the body for a post-mortem examination,” the officer said.