After a day-long students’ strike and class boycott and at the Jawaharlal Nehru University, the administration has, in principle, agreed to the union’s demand that “any person undergoing GSCASH enquiry on charges of sexual harassment will not be appointed/promoted to any important post” in the university.
This comes after the union’s continued protest against the university’s recent decision to promote a professor, with an inquiry pending under the university’s Gender Sensitisation Committee Against Sexual Harassment (GSCASH). The person was to be promoted to the position of Dean.
In another case involving a supervisor facing charges of sexual harassment of a student, the union has accused the administration of “constantly dilly dallying” on the report submitted by the GSCASH regarding the case.
Students’ union president Akbar Chawdhary said, “After the protest, a delegation of JNUSU office bearers met the Vice-Chancellor and after negotiations, the V-C agreed in principle to JNUSU’s demand that any person undergoing GSCASH enquiry on charges of sexual harassment will not be appointed/promoted to any important post.”
According to Chawdhary, the V-C said he would constitute a committee to look into the changes suggested by JNUSU to strengthen GSCASH. The JNUSU and the JNU Teachers’ Association will be members of this committee.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Chawdhary said even though the V-C had agreed to the students’ demands, the union will not stop its movement until the university accepts the GSCASH report on the professor.