A 26-year-old assistant manager with a global consultancy firm was stabbed to death near her aunt’s house in Central Delhi’s Karol Bagh area on Friday evening.
Police said the woman, identified as Simranjeet Kaur, worked with a firm called Steria Consultancy in Noida.
She was on her way from Noida to visit her aunt’s residence in Karol Bagh when the incident took place.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
According to police, around 6 pm on Friday, Simranjeet boarded the Metro from Noida to Karol Bagh.
CCTV footage police recovered shows her exiting the Metro station alone and taking a lane towards her aunt’s house.
Footage from one of the cameras in the area also shows a man on a scooter riding past the lane, police said.
A few minutes later, around 7.35 pm, another frame of the footage shows a well-built man, with hands in his pocket, following Simranjeet.
Police said Simranjeet was metres away from her aunt’s house when the assailant grabbed her and stabbed her in the arm.
When she screamed for help, the man stabbed her a second time in the chest, before dropping the knife and fleeing. Police have recovered the murder weapon.
Residents told police that they heard a woman shouting for help and rushed to the spot to find Simranjeet lying in a pool of blood. One of them alerted the police control room. Simranjeet was rushed to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital where she was declared dead on arrival.
Simranjeet’s aunt Gurcharan Kaur (60) said her niece had called her around 12 pm saying say would visit her that evening to “surprise her”.
“Around 7.40 pm, I heard someone screaming for help and saying “chor chor”. We rushed out and found my niece in a pool of blood, clutching her chest. Neighbours told us that they saw the assailant fleeing, but could not see his face clearly as it was too dark,” Gurcharan said.
“Simranjeet was a fun-loving girl and did not have any enemies. She was happy and said she wanted to surprise me, but refused to give me any clue,” Gurcharan said.
A senior police officer said Simranjeet’s mobile phone, a high-end Samsung model, her bag and wallet were recovered from the spot. Even her jewellery was intact. This has led police to rule out robbery as motive.
Simranjeet Kaur got married in February last year. Her husband Manveet Singh works as a senior manager with HCL in Nanakpura, South Delhi.
She completed her graduation from Khalsa College and did her MBA from Amity University. It was there that she met her husband.
Simranjeet’s father retired as a Superintendent from Customs while her sister is a lecturer at Delhi University. Her brother is pursuing his engineering from DU.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Central) Sandeep Goel said, “We are investigating all possibilities. As of now, we have registered a case of under Section 302 (murder) of the IPC and sections of Arms Act.”
“It is an unfortunate incident. We have registered a case and taken up investigation. We are sure of solving the case soon,” Delhi Police Commissioner B S Bassi said.
Simranjeet’s body was handed over to her family on Saturday morning after a post-mortem examination. It has been taken to Jalandhar, Punjab, for last rites.