A 26-year-old assistant manager with a global consultancy firm was stabbed to death near her aunt’s house in Central Delhi’s Karol Bagh area on Friday evening.
Police said the woman, identified as Simranjeet Kaur, worked with a firm called Steria Consultancy in Noida.
She was on her way from Noida to visit her aunt’s residence in Karol Bagh when the incident took place.
According to police, around 6 pm on Friday, Simranjeet boarded the Metro from Noida to Karol Bagh.
CCTV footage police recovered shows her exiting the Metro station alone and taking a lane towards her aunt’s house.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Footage from one of the cameras in the area also shows a man on a scooter riding past the lane, police said.
A few minutes later, around 7.35 pm, another frame of the footage shows a well-built man, with hands in his pocket, following Simranjeet.
Police said Simranjeet was metres away from her aunt’s house when the assailant grabbed her and stabbed her in the arm.
When she screamed for help, the man stabbed her a second time in the chest, before dropping the knife and fleeing. Police have recovered the murder weapon.
Residents told police that they heard a woman shouting for help and rushed to the spot to find Simranjeet lying in a pool of blood. One of them alerted the police control room. Simranjeet was rushed to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital where she was declared dead on arrival.
Simranjeet’s aunt Gurcharan Kaur (60) said her niece had called her around 12 pm saying say would visit her that evening to “surprise her”.
“Around 7.40 pm, I heard someone screaming for help and saying “chor chor”. We rushed out and found my niece in a pool of blood, clutching her chest. Neighbours told us that they saw the assailant fleeing, but could not see his face clearly as it was too dark,” Gurcharan said.
“Simranjeet was a fun-loving girl and did not have any enemies. She was happy and said she wanted to surprise me, but refused to give me any clue,” Gurcharan said.
A senior police officer said Simranjeet’s mobile phone, a high-end Samsung model, her bag and wallet were recovered from the spot. Even her jewellery was intact. This has led police to rule out robbery as motive.
Simranjeet Kaur got married in February last year. Her husband Manveet Singh works as a senior manager with HCL in Nanakpura, South Delhi.
She completed her graduation from Khalsa College and did her MBA from Amity University. It was there that she met her husband.
Simranjeet’s father retired as a Superintendent from Customs while her sister is a lecturer at Delhi University. Her brother is pursuing his engineering from DU.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Central) Sandeep Goel said, “We are investigating all possibilities. As of now, we have registered a case of under Section 302 (murder) of the IPC and sections of Arms Act.”
“It is an unfortunate incident. We have registered a case and taken up investigation. We are sure of solving the case soon,” Delhi Police Commissioner B S Bassi said.
Simranjeet’s body was handed over to her family on Saturday morning after a post-mortem examination. It has been taken to Jalandhar, Punjab, for last rites.