A flight of stairs in Florence, a crevice in the rock-cut architecture in Jordan’s Petra, the Angkor Wat temple in Cambodia, or one of the many monuments in Hyderabad — the milieu for Nandini Thirani Mehta’s photographs can be plotted across the globe. In the show titled “Udaan”, a photography-meets-art series, Mehta plays around with perspective as closed, dark spaces give way to light in her frames. She’s painted birds in flight on these sepia-tinted and black-and-white frames, hence explaining the title of the show.
The Mumbai-based artist says, “I was never a person who could travel alone and meet new people, but once I attempted it, it’s been a beautiful journey. Exploring new cultures and meeting new people not only changes you as an artist, but also as a person. The birds I’ve painted on the photographs are symbolic of the freedom I’ve experienced.”
Painted with red, blue and yellow acrylics, these birds are shown flying across ruins, water bodies and architectural marvels across Cambodia, Italy, Spain and Jordan, besides India. “I hadn’t really planned on this series, but when people saw a camera in my hand, they automatically came up to me and asked if I was a photographer. The series is a result of the sense of liberation I experienced while interacting with people of other cultures,” says Mehta. Serving as a bridge between photography and art, 20 of these frames are on display in Delhi, after a well-received show in Mumbai.
“Udaan” is on display at Cafe Turtle, GK 1, till July 11.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More