Was waiting for police,says MCD

Even as DCP Chhaya Sharma maintained that the Municipal Corporation of Delhi had been informed about the unauthorised structure,which had resulted in the death of four children on Sunday,MCD officials claimed that they did not go ahead with the demolition because police failed to provide them with security.

Written by Express News Service | New Delhi | Published:February 27, 2012 1:40 am

Even as DCP (South) Chhaya Sharma maintained that the Municipal Corporation of Delhi had been informed about the unauthorised structure,which had resulted in the death of four children on Sunday,MCD officials claimed that they did not go ahead with the demolition because police failed to provide them with security.

Speaking to Newsline,an MCD official said they had written to police on January 6,stating that the construction was unauthorised and needed to be demolished.

“We were waiting for police to provide the required personnel. Finally,we decided to demolish the three-foot-long parapet wall on Wednesday. Unfortunately,it collapsed just three days before the scheduled demolition date.”

According to police,the builder was using substandard material to construct the building.

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results
    Express Adda