After the drubbing it received in the Lok Sabha polls, the AAP leaders and volunteers met to discuss the party’s future course of action, even as party chief Arvind Kejriwal spend time in Tihar Jail.
During the meeting on Friday evening, a few AAP volunteers began shouting for the dissolution of the party’s Political Affairs Committee and National Executive. They demanded that the party take decisions only after discussions with volunteers.
Although some AAP leaders assured them that they will get a chance to voice their views and tried to pacify them, another group started creating a ruckus.
The meeting also saw leaders reading out a letter written by Kejriwal from Tihar Jail. Titled ‘Why was I arrested?’, the letter said, “I have decided to devote my life to this struggle against corruption. I have stayed hungry in this fight, I have been beaten up by police, suffered insults and now I am in Tihar Jail.”
Signed, Prisoner Number 3642, Jail Number 4, Tihar Jail, the letter said, “A section of the media is against me. They term this fight against corruption as a drama. I appeal to you that if you come across any such baseless news against us, do not trust them.”
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Senior leaders Prashant Bhushan, Yogendra Yadav, Manish Sisodia, Sanjay Singh and Gopal Rai discussed the circumstances under which Kejriwal was taken into custody. To mobilise support, they asked volunteers to take Kejriwal’s letter across the capital.
Assuring volunteers that the AAP’s vote share has seen an upward swing, the leaders also said the party could regain a lot of support.
According to Yadav, the party is likely to receive votes from three sections — those who were voting for Kejriwal as the Delhi chief minister, but wanted Narendra Modi as Prime Minister; those who wanted the AAP to apologise for resigning from the Delhi government; and a section of voters who had earlier voted for the Congress.