Days after Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi said Narendra Modi was “answerable on moral grounds” for the Gujarat riots in 2002, Union Law Minister Kapil Sibal echoed his views, saying that every institution in the country had been unjust to “the people suffering in Gujarat”.
“I am not making any allegations, but the needle of suspicion points towards the Gujarat administration of the time,” Sibal said.
Sibal, who is seeking re-election from the Chandni Chowk parliamentary constituency, also spoke out against his opponent Harsh Vardhan. “He wants to endorse Chandni Chowk after 21 years. I will request him to resign as MLA and from all posts at the state BJP, then we will believe that he is serious about the constituency,” Sibal said.
The Law Minister said he had visited his constituency 570 times in the last five years and challenged “anyone” to compare their record with his.
He also questioned the “Modi wave” in the country, stating that if there was indeed such a wave why was the BJP trying to appease leaders like Ram Vilas Paswan and Raj Thackeray and poaching leaders from other parties.
Emphasising that he was speaking as a candidate and not the Law Minister, Sibal said the Supreme Court should have handed over Gujarat riots probe to an independent agency as the SIT had little power in Gujarat. “The Supreme Court should have monitored all cases related to Gujarat riots through an independent investigation agency,” he said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016