Minutes before a group of men attacked him with sticks and cricket bats Wednesday night, Pankaj Narang was trying to call the police control room (PCR), but the phone line was engaged. He wanted to tell the police that he had had an argument with two men on a motorcycle, and one of them had threatened him of dire consequences.
Narang, a resident of Vikaspuri, then decided to go to the Janakpuri District Centre, where PCR vans are usually stationed. But there were no PCR vans there.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
By the time police were finally called, at 12.45 am, it was too late. Narang had been brutally assaulted by a group of men in front of his family members and he succumbed to his injuries.
Narang’s cousin Dr Sanjeev Popli, a surgeon with a private hospital, told The Indian Express that he got to know about the incident from the dentist’s wife.
- Delhi dentist murder case: Two ‘minors declared adults’, sent to Tihar jail
- Vikaspuri dentist murder: Wife offered job in SDMC hospital, says BJP chief Satish Upadhyay
- Vikaspuri murder: Don’t politicise incident, says family
- Vikaspuri dentist murder: Police reject communal conspiracy theories
- Vikaspuri dentist murder: Dr. Narang's friends meet CM Kejriwal, seeks security for family
- Mob beats Delhi dentist to death in front of family
“We immediately rushed to the spot… he had multiple fractures in his skull, his eyes were swollen, he was bleeding from his nose. Before he could be shifted to the operation theatre, he suffered a cardiac attack,” he said.
“We came to know later that Narang had a heated argument with two men on a motorcycle and one of them had threatened him of dire consequences. After that, he started making calls to PCR, but their line was busy. He decided to approach the PCR van at Janakpuri District Centre, but there was no van there. By the time he came back home, the group of men had started pelting his house with stones.
They attacked him outside his house and dragged him for nearly 20 meters,” said Dr Popli.
Narang’s family members were scared that they will be targetted again, he said.
The victim’s family members told police that though local residents had come out on their balconies and terraces to see what was happening, none of them came forward to help.
“The victim’s wife and sister were crying and screaming for help… but none of their neighbours helped them,” said a senior police officer.
Accused ‘express regret’ over incident
Before they were sent to Tihar Jail, the five accused, including Maesar and her two sons Naseer and Amir, met their family members in Vikaspuri police station.
They expressed regret about the incident, as police officials deployed for their security urged them not to cry.
Nine people have been detained over the incident and four of them are juveniles.
A Delhi court Friday sent the four juveniles to a correctional home, while the five other accused — Naseer, Maesar, Amir, Ameer and Gopal — were sent to Tihar jail.