Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu today asked NDMC to convert Connaught Place and Khan Market as ‘No Vehicle’ zones through various initiatives as he expressed concern over air pollution and traffic congestion in Delhi.
The minister also urged New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) to ensure implementation of the whole smart city plan, entailing an investment of Rs 1,900 crore, by June 2018 with “visible impact” of the development by middle of next year.
The Minister gave these direction while reviewing the progress of implementation of smart city plans in NDMC area. “Naidu expressed concern over air pollution and traffic congestion and asked NDMC to convert Connaught Place and Khan Market as ‘No vehicle’ zones through necessary planning for traffic management, parking and last mile connectivity,” an official said.
Among other suggestions, Naidu also mooted setting up of digital display screens at all major locations to provide information on traffic flows including jams, suggested traffic diversions, weather, pollution and other public information.
Highlighting poor maintenance of road from airport to Connaught Place, Naidu directed the local bodies to undertake necessary interventions to make this section a ‘smart road’ with all necessary features like pathways and landscaping.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
NDMC Chairman Naresh Kumar informed that so far, smart city projects worth Rs 650 crore are under implementation and work on the remaining would start in the next few months.
He said about 25 projects that would be completed by June next year which include conversion of all 444 class rooms in NDMC areas into smart ones, digital information panels/kiosks at prominent places with high speed internet, provision of 60 water ATMs at public places, 59 open gyms and Charkha Museum at Connaught Place.