A Supreme Court judge, on Monday, recused himself from hearing a plea of real estate baron, Gopal Ansal, convicted in the Uphaar fire tragedy case, seeking its nod to visit London and New York on a business trip. As soon as Ansal’s lawyer mentioned the matter, Justice Vikramajit Sen, who was heading the bench, said that the case be listed before another bench.
Ansal has petitioned the court seeking its permission to travel to London from June 16-20 and to New York on June 20-27 and return to India on June 28-29. Ansal brothers, Sushil and Gopal, who have been convicted in the June 13, 1997 Uphaar fire tragedy which claimed 59 lives during the screening of the Hindi blockbuster ‘Border’, were restrained by the apex court on April 22 from leaving the country without its permission.
Gopal Ansal said that he needed to travel to London to meet financers, investors, architects and to discuss investment proposals for 45 acres of land belonging to M/s Ansal Buildwell Ltd and associate companies in Kumrakom, Kerala. For his New York visit from London, Ansal said that he needed to explore real estate development possibilities in and around the US city.
On March 26, the apex court had expressed serious displeasure over Sushil Ansal leaving the country without its prior nod. The Association of Victims of Uphaar Fire Tragedy (AVUT) had approached the Supreme Court against Ansals’ travelling abroad without the court’s permission. The apex court had, on March 5, upheld the conviction of the Ansals in the case, saying they were more interested about making money than ensuring safety of the cinegoers.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched