An inmate at Muzaffarnagar jail, Anil Dujana, was shifted to Banda jail in Bhundelkhand, a day after Geeta Pandit, wife of slain BJP leader Vijay Pandit, accused him of being involved in her husband’s murder.
Pandit was shot dead in Dadri on Saturday night by three assailants on two motorbikes. Soon after, Geeta had demanded a CBI probe into the murder, alleging that a man claiming to be Anil Dujana had called her husband over the phone in March and threatened to have him killed if he did not stay away from the Lok Sabha polls campaign in Dadri.
“Anil Dujana was moved to Banda jail on Monday evening. He reached there on Tuesday. The process to shift him had been on in the court since the past five months. But after the Dadri shooting, the application to shift him was expedited. Once the court agreed to our appeal, the approval from the state government arrived on Monday evening,” Kaushal Raj Sharma, District Magistrate, Muzaffarnagar, said.
According to Sharma, the administration had appealed to the court to have Dujana moved from Muzaffarnagar jail because his name kept cropping up in a number of criminal cases, including some firing incidents in Muzaffarnagar.
Sharma also said some members of Dujana’s rival gang were also lodged in the Muzaffarnagar jail and this had led to a threat on Dujana’s life. “He was being kept in solitary confinement and was being closely monitored. We even raided his cell thrice in the past one month – the last was around midnight three days ago. We found no evidence that could sufficiently prove his link to the crimes he has been accused of committing. We mentioned as much in our appeal to the court that he be moved to another jail,” Sharma said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
According to police, the three assailants who gunned Pandit down have been identified and the arrests were likely soon. “There are three prominent gangs in Gautam Buddh Nagar district. One of them is Dujana’s. It is possible that the shooters are associated with one or more of these gangs. They have been identified. The arrests should happen soon,” a police officer said.