With the BJP declining the nomination of Jagdish Mukhi as pro-tem Speaker,the burden of choosing the next Speaker,on the eve of the first Assembly session,now lies with Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.
Delhi Lieutenant-Governor Najeeb Jung had appointed senior BJP leader and Janakpuri MLA Jagdish Mukhi as pro-tem Speaker of the Delhi Assembly and had announced that he would perform the duties of the office from January 1.
Mukhi was supposed to take oath at the L-Gs residence on Tuesday. But by late Monday evening,leader of the BJP legislative party Harsh Vardhan conveyed to the L-G that the party had declined Mukhis nomination.
While sources in the L-Gs office said the matter would be decided by the Chief Minister,AAP sources said they were still undecided on the issue.
Both the BJP and the Congress said they had still not decided on the Speakers candidature. A senior BJP leader said the party would consider the issue after Nitin Gadkari returns to the capital.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
If the Congress announces its support to the AAP on the Speaker issue,then we can allow anyone to stand for the elections. But if it decides not to support the AAP,then the BJP will field a strong candidate for the post, the leader said.
The Congress,however,said they were keeping all options open for the time being. We will take a call on this soon. But as of now all options are open, Shakeel Ahmed,AICC general secretary-in-charge of Delhi,said.
Meanwhile,with the uncertainty over the post looming,JD(U) MLA Shoaib Iqbal has emerged as the front-runner,with JD(U) general secretary Javed Raza asking the ruling party and the Opposition to build a consensus on this candidature on Saturday. Iqbal,who has previously been Deputy Speaker,had already pledged unconditional support to the AAP.
The Speaker of the Delhi Assembly is elected by a simple majority in the House.
A pro-tem Speaker presides over the election. The AAP will have to prove its majority after the Speaker is elected.