With the BJP declining the nomination of Jagdish Mukhi as pro-tem Speaker,the burden of choosing the next Speaker,on the eve of the first Assembly session,now lies with Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.
Delhi Lieutenant-Governor Najeeb Jung had appointed senior BJP leader and Janakpuri MLA Jagdish Mukhi as pro-tem Speaker of the Delhi Assembly and had announced that he would perform the duties of the office from January 1.
Mukhi was supposed to take oath at the L-Gs residence on Tuesday. But by late Monday evening,leader of the BJP legislative party Harsh Vardhan conveyed to the L-G that the party had declined Mukhis nomination.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
While sources in the L-Gs office said the matter would be decided by the Chief Minister,AAP sources said they were still undecided on the issue.
Both the BJP and the Congress said they had still not decided on the Speakers candidature. A senior BJP leader said the party would consider the issue after Nitin Gadkari returns to the capital.
If the Congress announces its support to the AAP on the Speaker issue,then we can allow anyone to stand for the elections. But if it decides not to support the AAP,then the BJP will field a strong candidate for the post, the leader said.
The Congress,however,said they were keeping all options open for the time being. We will take a call on this soon. But as of now all options are open, Shakeel Ahmed,AICC general secretary-in-charge of Delhi,said.
Meanwhile,with the uncertainty over the post looming,JD(U) MLA Shoaib Iqbal has emerged as the front-runner,with JD(U) general secretary Javed Raza asking the ruling party and the Opposition to build a consensus on this candidature on Saturday. Iqbal,who has previously been Deputy Speaker,had already pledged unconditional support to the AAP.
The Speaker of the Delhi Assembly is elected by a simple majority in the House.
A pro-tem Speaker presides over the election. The AAP will have to prove its majority after the Speaker is elected.