The University Grants Commission (UGC) on Thursday rejected a proposal sent by Delhi University (DU) to end the deadlock over the Four-Year Undergraduate Programme (FYUP) and asked the university to begin admissions under the pre-FYUP system, sources in the UGC said.
Earlier in the day, instead of sending a compliance report to the UGC for rolling back FYUP, DU offered an alternative proposal to the commission, as a way to end the deadlock.
“A proposal received by the university from eminent citizens has been sent to the UGC and is under our active consideration. This proposal draws on some existing and approved courses and will supplement courses that existed under the older undergraduate courses under the earlier semester system,” reads the letter sent by DU to the UGC.
“This proposal entails admitting students to a three-year undergraduate course with honours and will obviate the need to call for fresh registrations. We await your response in order to convene the statutory bodies at the earliest in the best interest of the students,” the letter signed by DU Registrar Alka Sharma states.
On Tuesday, a group of 21, including the Vice-Chancellors of IP University and Panjab University and eminent professors and principals from various colleges, had suggested a six-point formula for providing a programme of study.
Besides endorsing a three-year honours programme, the proposal had suggested reducing the number of foundation courses in first year, and doing away with them entirely in the second year. It also recommended increasing the number of Discipline I courses and increasing the main honours courses to 17 in number.
“The university may wish to offer a fourth year of study by creating a Honours by Research Programme within an overall credit-based system,” Vijay Chaudhry, a group represntative, stated.
Stating that “admissions cannot take place to a course of study for which necessary approvals have not been obtained” and that the “necessary modalities of effecting the change that was to be sent to the university by the committee set up by the UGC have also not been received”, the proposal may offer the “way forward”.
“The UGC has been writing letters urging us to start admitting students based on the three-year format. We told them that we need time to follow the old procedure because there are course committees, statutory bodies and they will need to meet for that purpose. However, if we can tweak the existing (+4) course into the +3 format, we can start admitting the students as soon as possible,” says Malay Neerav, media co-ordinator, DU. continued…
Best of Express
PHOTOS- Femme Fatale: Kareena, Alia, Sonam, Jacqueline, Sunny Leone's award style