Two youths were charred to death, while their uncle sustained severe burn injuries after the Santro they were travelling in caught fire. The incident was reported from Southwest Delhi’s Kapashera border area late Wednesday.
The two brothers — Pankaj (19) and Sumit (16) — died on the spot. Police said they sustained 100 per cent burns. Their uncle Yashveer (30), a Delhi Police constable, was rushed to Safdarjung hospital.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Southwest) Suman Goel said, “The Santro with a Haryana numberplate caught fire near Gurgaon border in Bijwasan. Two youths died while the driver of the car sustained burn injuries. The reason of the fire is not yet known. Prima facie, it appears that a short circuit led to the fire. The investigation is on.”
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Eyewitnesses told police that the car was moving when the engine suddenly caught fire and the three occupants got trapped inside.
The rear doors of the car reportedly got jammed and the boys were not able to escape. Yashveer, who was the driving car, kicked open the door on his side and escaped. “Eyewitnesses told us that the car was engulfed in flames in no time,” a police officer said.
Passersby made a PCR call and also informed the Fire department.
“Two fire tenders were rushed to the spot. But by the time the fire tenders reached the spot, the youths had already died. The bodies were recovered from the car after extinguishing the blaze,” a Fire department official said.
Police said the occupants did not realise that the engine was heating up and switched on the air conditioner. This put more load on the engine. The car was moving when it caught fire. The doors got jammed and it became difficult for the occupants to escape. Police said they had no information on whether the car had a central-locking system or not.