By: Taru Bhatia
Two of the four burglars who allegedly carried out a Rs 4-crore jewellery theft in Karol Bagh last Thursday have been arrested. Two more accused are still absconding, police said.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Ravinder Yadav said the two accused, identified as Maqsood (42) and Naseem (26), were apprehended from Majnu Ka Tila in North Delhi. The two were reportedly planning to leave for Nepal, along with the stolen items, Yadav said.
- Kanpur: 11 held in bank robbery case
- Customs official’s family loses Rs 12 lakh jewellery during train journey to Vijaywada
- Two Kochi thefts solved with three arrests in Delhi; call details led police to accused
- Jewellery workshop worker arrested for stealing ornaments worth over Rs 1 crore
- Mumbai: Five, including minor, held for chain-snatching, thefts
- A month on,Kanpur theft case solved
“More that 95 per cent of the stolen jewellery and a TSR auto used in the crime were also recovered,” he said. The stolen objects include eight diamond necklaces, five gold necklaces, diamond bangles and two diamond bracelets.
Businessman Arjun Dass was carrying the jewellery from Jalandhar on Shatabdi Express.
The four accused, who have a history of crimes, commit such thefts in a well-planned manner targeting passengers of Rajdhani Express and Shatabdi Express who look for cheap auto rides outside stations.
Accused Naseem, also the driver, targeted Dass and convinced him of a low-cost ride to Karol Bagh.
Another accused Saleem was already sitting on the passenger seat of the auto. Dass was soon robbed of his belongings.
(The reporter is a student of Exims, Delhi)