Follow Us:
Thursday, April 19, 2018

Trial over,verdict in December 16 gangrape on September 10

The trial in the December 16 Delhi gangrape case concluded on Tuesday at a fast track court.

Written by D K RITURAJ | New Delhi | Published: September 4, 2013 1:29:05 am

The trial in the December 16 Delhi gangrape case concluded on Tuesday at a fast track court in the city. The court will pronounce its verdict on September 10.

On the final day,the arguments by the defence lawyers — and their rebuttal by the prosecution — lasted nearly five hours.

In no mood to delay the trial any further,Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna asked the lawyers to focus on their arguments and waved away applications to inspect the bus or visit the place where the accused lived prior to the verdict.

According to the prosecution,the four adult accused in the case allegedly gangraped the victim,inserted two iron rods into her genitalia,used their hands to pull out her organs and then threw her off the bus along with her friend. The defence has denied the use of rods and has argued they were planted by police.

The prosecution has also argued that during the gangrape,the bus made two rounds of the Mahipal flyover. In the first round,accused Mukesh was driving the bus but,in the second round,he was assaulting and raping the victim,the prosecution has alleged,citing the time on CCTV footage of the bus.

“The prosecution has not mentioned who the second driver was… Before the JJB (Juvenile Justice Board),they claimed it was Akshay… in this court,they claim it was Ram Singh,” V K Anand,Mukesh’s lawyer,said on Tuesday. He argued that Mukesh had helped the police chart the route of the bus on the night of the incident. “If they knew who the other driver was,why didn’t they use him to map the route of the bus on the second round?” Anand asked.

The defence of three accused in the case — Vinay,Akshay and Pawan — is built on a plea of alibis. Akshay says he had left Delhi for his village on the night prior to the incident. Vinay and Pawan claim they were at a musical function being held at a district park that night. Seventeen witnesses have been produced by the defence to corroborate their alibi. But their alibi has been contradicted by the statement of co-accused Mukesh,who told the court that all the accused were present on the bus when the incident occurred.

Mukesh also told the court that he was driving the bus on the night of the incident. “He can,at the most,be charged with aiding the crime,otherwise he had no knowledge of… no role in the robbery,rape and assault,” Anand said.

According to the prosecution,all the accused had participated in the gangrape and murder of the victim. Their case was primarily based on forensic evidence,dying declarations of the victim and the statement of the victim’s friend,who is the sole eyewitness in the case. The defence has alleged all the evidence,including the DNA reports matching the accused to the scene of crime,had been planted by police.

Fast-track trial

2012

Dec. 23: Fast-track court set up by Delhi High Court

2013

Jan. 3: 33-page chargesheet filed against five accused — Ram Singh,Mukesh Singh,Akshay Thakur,Pawan Gupta and Vinay Sharma

Jan. 6: Pawan and Vinay say they want to turn “approvers”

Jan. 7: Court orders in-camera trial

Jan. 28: Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) declares sixth accused a

minor

Feb. 2: Fast-track court frames charges against five accused

Feb. 5: Trial begins

March 11: Ram Singh found dead in Tihar jail

Aug. 22: Prosecution initiates final arguments

Aug. 26: Prosecution concludes final arguments

Aug. 27: Defence begins final arguments

Aug. 31: JJB holds minor guilty of rape and murder

Sept. 3: Trial ends

Sept. 10: Court to pronounce verdict

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App

Share your thoughts