Delhi Traffic Police on Saturday night conducted a massive drive to check traffic violations, including drink-driving, after the third incident in a week of a drunk driver running over people sleeping on pavements was reported the same day.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Anil Shukla said a total of 83 police teams were posted in all parts of the city during the drive.
With alcometers in hand, senior traffic police officers were spotted on major roads of the capital from 7 pm till 1 am. A total of 247 drunk drivers, whose blood levels showed the presence of alcohol, were challaned on the spot.
Another 259 people were fined for rash and negligent driving and endangering the life of others. Police said 244 vehicles, whose drivers were found heavily intoxicated, were impounded on the spot.
Police said they would hold special drives on weekends to prevent drunk drivers from driving. Local police will assist them in the drives. Barricades will be placed near restaurants, bars and pubs, especially in New Delhi and South Delhi areas, a police officer said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Forty-four vehicle owners were prosecuted because they allowed their vehicles to be driven by drunk drivers. Out of the vehicles which were impounded were11 light-goods vehicles, 126 cars, 103 two-wheelers, four TSRs, six delivery vans and seven other vehicles,” Shukla said.
He also said all senior traffic police officers, including additional commissioners, DCPs, ACPs and inspectors, were present during the drive for effective supervision. Traffic police have also asked the Transport department to suspend licenses of those who have been repeatedly caught for drink-driving.