The Delhi government saw its first Cabinet reshuffle on Friday since the AAP government came to power. While the government maintained that it is just a ‘tweaking of portfolios’, government sources believe that the reshuffle is much more than that.
Jitendra Singh Tomar no longer holds the Home department portfolio, which has been given to Power and Health Minister Satyendra Jain.
Tomar now holds the post of Gurdwara Management, which was with Jain earlier.
- Post-Reshuffle: Key eco ministries get stronger Cabinet foothold
- Cabinet reshuffle 2017: Loyalty pays, while ex-bureaucrats get a toe-hold
- PM Modi to expand cabinet tomorrow, uncertainty hangs over names
- 'Narendra Modi believes in concentrating power, cabinet reshuffle is of no use', says Congress
- Smriti Irani, Tomar get addl charge of Venkaiah Naidu’s portfolios
- Cabinet reshuffle likely after Parliament's monsoon session
“Tomar is in-charge of Languages and Tourism. Hence, we decided to align similar portfolios like Gurdwara Management with his existing portfolios. This is why he has been given this portfolio as well,” media advisor Nagendra Sharma said.
Sources in the government believe that Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has been pondering a reshuffle of the Cabinet for quite some time now. The capital witnessed a few incidents in the past few months where AAP MLAs were accused of rioting by police. The MLAs in turn had accused police of high-handedness.
Speculation was rife in the Secretariat that Kejriwal did not approve of the manner in which police was handled.
When contacted, Tomar said the reshuffle is part of government functioning. “I will get some other important portfolio,” he said.
Sources also said there was a buzz within the government that Jain has been given charge of the “sensitive” department because of his proximity to Kejriwal.
“This is a vital department that has not been in tandem with the government’s scheme of things. Jain is known for dealing with officials to get work done.
The fact that he enjoys the trust of the CM also seems like a reason why he has been given charge of the department,” a source in the government said.