A contempt of court petition was filed on Wednesday before Delhi High Court, seeking action against the lawyers who have been accused of assaulting two women lawyers and their clients from the Northeast on Tis Hazari courts premises in May.
On May 23, during a hearing in a sexual assault case in which a lawyer was the accused, the victim and her lawyers, as well as her friends and family who had gone to court to provide support, were allegedly threatened and attacked by a group of lawyers. The woman lawyer was also allegedly slapped by the lawyers. They reportedly asked her not to appear in a case against a fellow lawyer.
“The fact that the Respondents/contemnors indulged in acts of assault and intimidation very flagrantly against the friends and lawyers of the victim… scandalises and lowers the authority of the court. It also interferes with and obstructs the administration of justice to the victim and the due course of pending investigation,” the Contempt plea filed on Wednesday stated. Police had filed an FIR against “unknown persons” in the case. Complaints had also been sent to the Bar Council of India and the office of the Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court.
On Wednesday, senior advocate Indira Jaising appeared before the court of Chief Justice G Rohini and Justice R S Endlaw to mention the incident. “The victims have identified two of the lawyers involved in the incident and we have obtained their enrollment numbers. Strict action must be taken against them as this amounts to a serious interference in the administration of justice,” Jaising said.
Earlier this year, the court had taken suo motu cognizance of the alleged “racial attack” on Northeastern student Nido Taniam and had issued directions to ensure protection for people from Northeast living in Delhi.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Meanwhile, Delhi Police has issued notice to the two lawyers who have been identified, to join the investigation. The Bar Council of Delhi, which is the statutory body authorised to take action against lawyers, has also called a meeting on July 11 to look into the issue.