Police on Wednesday arrested a 42-year-old man for murdering his a 40-year-old cousin and her 16-year-old daughter.
The woman Jasbeer and daughter Prabhjot were found dead at their Tilak Nagar residence in West Delhi last Thursday. Police said the accused, Balvinder Singh, a carpenter, smothered them to death and then slit their throats with a chisel. He also bludgeoned Jasbeer’s son Jaspal with a hammer, but he survived and is still in the ICU, police said.
According to police, Balvinder needed money for the treatment of his wife who is suffering from tuberculosis. “He had already borrowed nearly Rs 1.5 lakh from an acquaintance and was unable to pay it back. To meet his expenses and clear his debt, he hatched a plan to rob his cousin’s house,” an officer said.
Jasbeer ran a beauty parlour and was taking care of Prabhjot and Jaspal after her husband’s death last year.
Addl Commissioner of Police Ranvir Singh said, “Balwinder knew that Jasbeer had recently received some money from her mother. On May 17, Balvinder went to Jasbeer’s house to fix her kitchen woodwork. He did a recce of the house and went back. He returned on May 20, with the intention of robbing the house, but he feared that relatives would suspect him if they heard about the robbery. So he decided to kill all three.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“Balwinder had dinner at Jasbeer’s residence and when all of them were sleeping, he attacked Jaspal. He hit him repeatedly with a hammer and then smothered Jasbeer and Prabhjot. To make sure that they were dead, he slit their throats with a chisel,” he said.
Balvinder then made off with the cash and jewellery in the house. “We zeroed down on Balvinder as a suspect as he was the only one who did not participate in the last rites. Based on specific inputs, we arrested him. A mobile phone stolen from Jasbeer’s house was recovered from him,” the officer said.
Police said Balvinder mortgaged the stolen jewellery in his name at Muthoot Finance for Rs 1,15,000. The police have recovered the stolen items and the weapons used in the crime.