Police on Wednesday arrested a 42-year-old man for murdering his a 40-year-old cousin and her 16-year-old daughter.
The woman Jasbeer and daughter Prabhjot were found dead at their Tilak Nagar residence in West Delhi last Thursday. Police said the accused, Balvinder Singh, a carpenter, smothered them to death and then slit their throats with a chisel. He also bludgeoned Jasbeer’s son Jaspal with a hammer, but he survived and is still in the ICU, police said.
According to police, Balvinder needed money for the treatment of his wife who is suffering from tuberculosis. “He had already borrowed nearly Rs 1.5 lakh from an acquaintance and was unable to pay it back. To meet his expenses and clear his debt, he hatched a plan to rob his cousin’s house,” an officer said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Jasbeer ran a beauty parlour and was taking care of Prabhjot and Jaspal after her husband’s death last year.
Addl Commissioner of Police Ranvir Singh said, “Balwinder knew that Jasbeer had recently received some money from her mother. On May 17, Balvinder went to Jasbeer’s house to fix her kitchen woodwork. He did a recce of the house and went back. He returned on May 20, with the intention of robbing the house, but he feared that relatives would suspect him if they heard about the robbery. So he decided to kill all three.”
“Balwinder had dinner at Jasbeer’s residence and when all of them were sleeping, he attacked Jaspal. He hit him repeatedly with a hammer and then smothered Jasbeer and Prabhjot. To make sure that they were dead, he slit their throats with a chisel,” he said.
Balvinder then made off with the cash and jewellery in the house. “We zeroed down on Balvinder as a suspect as he was the only one who did not participate in the last rites. Based on specific inputs, we arrested him. A mobile phone stolen from Jasbeer’s house was recovered from him,” the officer said.
Police said Balvinder mortgaged the stolen jewellery in his name at Muthoot Finance for Rs 1,15,000. The police have recovered the stolen items and the weapons used in the crime.