• Associate Sponsor

Three killed after mud wall at construction site collapses

One of the workers managed to come out of the rubble while two were announced dead by the time they were brought out.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Updated: July 4, 2015 2:06 am
Wall collapse, death, Workers death, Delhi wall collapse, hospital wall collapse, Wall collapse death, under-construction wall, Delhi news, indian Express The construction was being done at a hospital. (Source: Express photo by Praveen Khanna)

Three persons died and one was injured when a wall of mud and dirt collapsed on a group of labourers at a construction site in Southwest Delhi’s Dwarka Sector 6 on Friday morning.

Officials at Delhi Fire Services (DFS) said they received a call around 11.40 am on Thursday about the collapse. Several labourers were feared to be trapped under tons of mud after a wall of an under-construction hospital caved in on them while they were working 20 metres below on the site.

“Tons of mud and dirt collapsed on nine workers who were working at the site. Five of them escaped just in time. Four of them, however, were trapped. Personnel from the Fire Services, National Disaster Management, MCD and police began rescue operations. Three of the men were rescued and rushed to DDU hospital,” said Sanjay Tomar, Divisional Officer of DFS said at 2 pm on Friday.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

By evening, the three labourers, identified as Jitendra (26), Gulzar (25) and Santosh (26), died in hospital. The fourth man, 22-year-old Ali Hassan ,was later rescued and is being treated.

“We have registered a case under sections 304 (a) (death due to negligence) and 288 (negligent conduct with respect to pulling down or repairing buildings) of the IPC. We will be arresting the owner of the construction company, S S Construction, which the private hospital had hired,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Southwest) R A Sanjeev said.

S S Construction had been constructing a second building at the Sector 6 site. It had hired around 100 labourers to work on the Friday morning shift from 8 am to 5 pm. Officials at the site said a 20-metre deep ditch was dug and the basement of the building, meant for an underground car park, was being laid.

“Usually, when such a deep pit is dug, temporary walls, pillars and stilts are erected against the soil face to keep the soil from collapsing. However, there were no pillars erected against the walls and the labourers working below were taken unawares,” a DFS official said.
Raj Kumar, a labourer who escaped the site at the time of the accident, said, “We were working when we heard a deafening noise. We turned to see a wall of mud raining down on our colleagues. We stopped what we were doing and fled.”

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App

  1. Mohammad Bin Tughlaq
    Jul 4, 2015 at 4:29 am
    It should be mandatory that the company or individual who is constructing a building should take insurance for life and injuries of all the labourers working at the site. Unless they have taken insurance no one should be allowed to be at the site. Has the soil at the site been tested to see whether such deep and big pit can be dug?
    (0)(0)
    Reply
    1. d
      dv1936
      Jul 3, 2015 at 3:39 pm
      What is 'make shift wall', it is obvious that nobody cares for the safety of labour. WHY blame the construction company only, are there no government checks on safety at such work places. It needs a review of the system.
      (0)(0)
      Reply
      1. S
        Sumant Kapoor
        Jul 4, 2015 at 1:55 pm
        I alongwith my co - residents were near to the site and saw the things happening in front of our eyes. Our first reaction was to inform the Police and Fire Brigade who rushed to the spot immediately and started rescue operations. This is a sheer case of criminal neglijance on the part of the Contractor who had not taken enough precautions before deploying workers on the site. We with some of the persons from the Public tried to volunteer for the Rescue Operations but were not allowed by the Security Persons deplo on the site. The precious human lives would have saved has there been a quick response in rescue operations
        (0)(0)
        Reply
        1. S
          Sumant Kapoor
          Jul 4, 2015 at 2:03 pm
          It is a clear case of criminal negligence on the part of the Construction Company and complicity of Govt; Authorities who are responsible for over-seeing such operations.
          (0)(0)
          Reply