Three Delhi Police constables, including one posted with the Special Cell, were arrested on Saturday for allegedly barging into a house in southeast Delhi’s Dwarka Sector 10 and demanding Rs 20 lakh from the owner.
According to police, the constables have been identified as Sandeep (26), posted with the Special Cell, Dinesh Kumar (25), posted with the security unit, and Prashant (30), posted with the Delhi Armed Police’s 4th Battalion. Police said they have been arrested under charges of extortion and house trespass.
“The complainant said three young men flashed their Delhi Police identity cards and forcefully entered his flat to carry out a search. They claimed they had information about some illegal activity in the house. They demanded Rs 20 lakh and threatened the complainant by waving a pistol,” said DCP (southwest) Surender Kumar.
- Jamia student found dead in Sarojini Nagar, cops suspect suicide
- Two drown as car falls into Yamuna due to ‘low visibility’
- Delhi: 17-year-old murdered, Royal Enfield gives away accused
- Two Delhi cops arrested for allegedly allowing middleman in AIADMK-EC case to roam freely in Bengaluru
- Jewellery, cash stolen from Air Force officer’s Lutyens’ house
- Three cops suspended for extorting 10 lakh from DU students, one of them held
The owner of the house managed to inform a friend, who made a PCR call. Police reached the spot and found that all three persons were constables and their ID cards were genuine.
The DCP added that when the police reached the spot, they did not find the owner involved in any illegal activity. “However, an investigation is underway,” he said.
A case has been registered at Dwarka south police station under IPC sections 384 (punishment for extortion), 385 (putting person in fear of injury in order to commit extortion), 452(house-trespass after preparation for hurt, assault or wrongful restraint) and 34 (common intention).