The much-hyped BJP dharna to take on the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) proved to be a non-starter on Tuesday. The party’s faction-ridden Delhi unit could not even gather all its MLAs and councillors at Jantar Mantar, the venue of the protest, let alone party workers.
The dharna against the AAP, for which the BJP had been publicising for a week, was given a miss by senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj, who was expected to address the gathering. Many workers who came said they were pressurised by party leaders to attend the dharna. Several workers left in the middle of the dharna, which did not last more than three hours.
While Delhi unit chief Vijay Goel and Harsh Vardhan repeated what they have been saying since the fall of the AAP government, the party cadre protested, saying the dharna could not even bring the party’s district presidents and MLAs on the same stage.
Even a gathering of the Lingayat community, who had congregated at Jantar Mantar just 50 metres away from where the BJP was holding its dharna, was bigger than the crowd at the latter.
What upset party workers further was the fact that state leaders made no attempt to hide the dissension in the Delhi unit in public. “When one leader started his speech, another left. Other leaders on the stage criticised the party for organising the dharna half-heartedly. It has done more harm to the BJP than to the AAP. We should learn from this episode,” a senior BJP leader present at Jantar Mantar said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Newly appointed Delhi in-charge Prabhat Jha, who was present at the dharna, launched an attack on the AAP. “The Congress and AAP misrule of 49 days ruined Delhi,” he said.
Goel targeted Shazia Ilmi and Arvind Kejriwal in his address.
Several BJP workers said their pockets were picked at the protest venue. The mismanagement at the dharna could be gauged from the fact that Goel and former Leader of Opposition in the Assembly Jagdish Mukhi lost their shoes. BJP leader Kishan Lal Dhillon’s wallet was stolen.