By Shikha Kumar
Three years ago, Charu Sharma, then 19, was boarding a plane to Kenya from New York, all set for an expedition to Mt Kilimanjaro. Curious about her cousin in India who was pregnant with her second child, she called up her aunt. She told her that her cousin had delivered “another girl”. “Her voice was devoid of any joy. The family now had two girls and no boy,” recounts Sharma. The irony of the situation struck her — here she was, embarking on an adventure that was an assertion of freedom, while the birth of a girl still made people unhappy. The incident triggered Sharma’s latest initiative, a website titled beingamodernindianwoman.in, where women across India can share their stories. The site went live on August 15, with around 35 narratives.
If one contributor, Sandhya Ramachandran, presents a humourous take of her life as a single woman in her 30s, another, Aadya Shukla’s Girl on the Rooftop recalls a childhood incident in which a boy was asked by his parents to stop interacting with her as she was a girl.
“I want to understand how women think and use this opportunity to leverage greater change in the future,” says Sharma, 22, a Mumbai girl, who works with LinkedIn, Chicago, as a talent solutions specialist. She has travelled to 44 countries and delivered Tedx talks in the past.
The stories from the website will also be shared on LinkedIn, with visibility for millions of the site’s members. “We also plan to publish the stories in Hindi and other regional languages in the future. We want to engage with both men and women at the grassroots level,” says Sharma.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More