Two deaths were reported in the last 72 hours in Delhi’s Tihar jail, where one inmate allegedly committed suicide while another died in an accident, jail officials said.
The alleged suicide took place on Tuesday when an undertrial, identified as Amolkar (40) was found hanging from the grill of a vent in the toilet. The incident took place in the Drug Addicts’ ward in jail number three.
“Amolkar was one of the inmates with suicidal tendency and was under special watch of the jail authorities. He was found hanging in the wards’s toilet by the other inmates and the authorities were then informed,” a senior jail official told PTI.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
“He had recently come to Tihar facing trial under IPC sections 302, 309 for his wife’s murder. From August 7 to 12, Amolkar was admitted to AIIMS after he had consumed Organic-phosphorus in an attempt to commit suicide following which he was sent to Tihar,” the official said.
The deceased was kept in the casualty ward of Tihar from August 16-18 after which he was shifted to the behavioural therapy ward on the recommendations of the doctors here, he said.
“He had maintained a clean record in jail. On September 2, he tore the bed sheet available in the ward and used it to hang himself in the toilet of the ward. An enquiry will soon be initiated to look into the details of the matter,” he added.
In another incident, an epileptic inmate who was lodged in jail number four, died on Wednesday after he allegedly slipped in the toilet.
“Vinod (26) was an epileptic inmate and had fallen in the toilet suffering serious injuries. After giving him first aid, he was taken to Deen Dayal Upadhyay hospital, where he later succumbed to his injuries,” another jail official said.
Tihar jail’s behavioural changing ward currently houses 16 inmates out of which, one has been tagged of possessing suicidal tendency, rests are being treated for depression.
Last year on March 11, Ram Singh, one of the main accused in the December 2012 gang-rape case, had also allegedly committed suicide in jail number 3 of Tihar Jail.
According to the latest data released by the National Crime Records Bureau, 87 inmates all over the country committed suicides in the year 2012, while 1,471 over all deaths were reported from prisons.