According to some MLAs, Dhir had to be told about his powers as the Speaker and MLAs from Congress and BJP offered him advice on various issues. When a session was held on Sant Ravidass Jayanti, a restricted holiday, Dhir said it was for the welfare of the people — the government’s response. Leader of Opposition replied, “Do not take this matter lightly.”
On another occasion, Dhir was told to abide by his responsibilities as Speaker and not treat official messages as private ones.
On Thursday, Congress and BJP MLAs found out that the Speaker intended to evict them. Taking advantage of the Speaker’s ignorance of Assembly rules, MLAs of both parties suspended his power to expel the legislators.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
When the House sought a vote on tabling of Janlokpal Bill, the Speaker looked at CM Arvind Kejriwal for a hint on how to proceed. This irked Delhi Congress chief Arvinder Singh Lovely, who said, “Aap unki taraf mat dekhiye (don’t look at him.”
Harsh Vardhan even told the Speaker that he would be replaced. “If you keep indulging in unconstitutional activities, we will replace you,” Harsh Vardhan said.
Lovely knew that the Speaker did not know how to go about calling for a vote on the Bill. He said, “The House is supreme. What are you doing sitting on this chair? Ask your staff if you do not know. And your permission to table the Bill does not mean the House has given approval.” At this, Dhir merely nodded.
BJP MLA Sahib Singh Chauhan advised Dhir not to attend the All Indian Speakers’ Conference. “Wahan jayenge to hamara mazak udwa ke aayenge. Request hai whan mat jana (If you go there, everyone will laugh at us. Please don’t attend,” Chauhan said.
When a BJP MLA made an objectionable remark against the CM, the Speaker’s secretary had to ask Dhir to announce that this will be expunged from the proceedings.