According to some MLAs, Dhir had to be told about his powers as the Speaker and MLAs from Congress and BJP offered him advice on various issues. When a session was held on Sant Ravidass Jayanti, a restricted holiday, Dhir said it was for the welfare of the people — the government’s response. Leader of Opposition replied, “Do not take this matter lightly.”
On another occasion, Dhir was told to abide by his responsibilities as Speaker and not treat official messages as private ones.
On Thursday, Congress and BJP MLAs found out that the Speaker intended to evict them. Taking advantage of the Speaker’s ignorance of Assembly rules, MLAs of both parties suspended his power to expel the legislators.
When the House sought a vote on tabling of Janlokpal Bill, the Speaker looked at CM Arvind Kejriwal for a hint on how to proceed. This irked Delhi Congress chief Arvinder Singh Lovely, who said, “Aap unki taraf mat dekhiye (don’t look at him.”
Harsh Vardhan even told the Speaker that he would be replaced. “If you keep indulging in unconstitutional activities, we will replace you,” Harsh Vardhan said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Lovely knew that the Speaker did not know how to go about calling for a vote on the Bill. He said, “The House is supreme. What are you doing sitting on this chair? Ask your staff if you do not know. And your permission to table the Bill does not mean the House has given approval.” At this, Dhir merely nodded.
BJP MLA Sahib Singh Chauhan advised Dhir not to attend the All Indian Speakers’ Conference. “Wahan jayenge to hamara mazak udwa ke aayenge. Request hai whan mat jana (If you go there, everyone will laugh at us. Please don’t attend,” Chauhan said.
When a BJP MLA made an objectionable remark against the CM, the Speaker’s secretary had to ask Dhir to announce that this will be expunged from the proceedings.