Thursday, Oct 23, 2014

Spate of orders baffles parents, schools

Fresh admission process will begin on April 25. (Express Archive) Fresh admission process will begin on April 25. (Express Archive)
Written by Shikha Sharma , Aneesha Mathur | New Delhi | Posted: March 8, 2014 12:23 am | Updated: March 8, 2014 12:25 am

The government on Friday announced yet another nursery admission schedule in the hope of resolving the current admission fiasco, but the chaos is far from over. The order states that admissions, already delayed by over two months, will now commence on April 25. It has left schools and parents baffled with the “never ending admission cycle”.

“This is like an endless nightmare. A new development comes to the fore every other week, and we get to look at a new set of dates or rules. Clearly, the issue is not getting resolved and it is causing inordinate delay. We have decided to wait for a final decision before starting the admission procedure again,” principal of Bal Bharati School L V Sehgal said.

The admission procedure has been quite turbulent with four groups of parents already approaching the court over various aspects of the guidelines issued on December 18 last year. As a result, the guidelines have been constantly undergoing changes.

“On Thursday, the High Court ordered fresh draw of lots for all applicants with 70 points, including those who had managed to secure seats. Now this group is also contemplating going to the court. The court had directed schools to reserve seats for the disabled, and that case is scheduled for March 12. As far as we are concerned, the litigation is far from over. There’s only one word that comes to my mind and it is ‘chaos’,” S K Bhattacharya, president of Action Committee for Unaided Private Schools, said.

The schools, which will now conduct fresh draw of lots, are required to display the first list of selected candidates by April 7, the second list by April 15 and subsequent lists, if any, between April 16 and 21. The process will commence by April 25.

“This is really unfair. We had got a seat, by sheer luck, but now I will have to let that go. All I have been doing is attending draws and visiting schools for verification,” Pratibha Ojha, who stays in Mayur Vihar, said.

“If the government had bothered to hold consultations with all stakeholders, none of this would have happened. Schools that had taken a fee from parents now have to refund it. We are sceptical of conducting draws. Who knows when the next circular will come out and what changes it might bring?” Ameeta Mulla Wattal, principal of Springdales, Pusa Road, said.

“Conducting draws over and over again is not easy. Besides, if the process will commence by April 25, when will the classes begin? Usually, we close our nursery wing by May 5. We are looking at a loss of an entire session,” Jyoti Arora, principal of Mount Abu School, Rohini, said.

“Parents who have paid the fee are now asking for refunds. Even after three months, we are where we started,” Sumit Vohra, founder of admissions nursery.com, said.

“This year has continued…

comments powered by Disqus
Featured ad: Discount Shopping
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,294 other followers