The ruling Samajwadi Party today came under attack over the killing of BJP leader Vijay Pandit, who was cremated here on Sunday amid tight security, with his family and MP Mahesh Sharma demanding a CBI inquiry into the murder.
Pandit’s wife Geeta alleged that he was killed due to election rivalry at the behest of local SP leader Narinder Bhati, who denied the allegation.
“During Lok Sabha election, a criminal had called and threatened that they will kill my husband and me if we campaign for BJP candidate Mahesh Sharma. Later, SP candidate Narinder Bhati too had called and threatened. One threatening call was received from some contractor having patronage of ruling SP party. As we campaigned for Sharma, they took revenge and killed my husband,” Geeta, who is Dadri Nagar Panchayat Chairman, alleged.
Bhati, however, said the allegations were lies. “Why will I do such a thing? These are all lies,” he said.
Pandit’s family also accused the police of inaction saying they had informed the cops about the threats to Pandit but they paid no heed.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“We will ask for a CBI probe. The administration is at fault,” Pandit’s brother Lokesh said.
After the post mortem, Pandit’s body was taken to his house. Locals and BJP workers joined the procession to the cremation ground escorted by a large contingent of Provincial Armed Constabulary and local police force.
The last rites of the BJP leader, who was shot dead last night, were held at Dadri cremation ground.
Gautam Buddha Nagar MP Mahesh Sharma demanded a CBI inquiry and alleged there was jungle raj in the city as criminals were striking at will while the police failed to check rising crime.
The killing of the BJP leader has “exposed” the law and order situation, he charged.
BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said, “Nothing like government can be seen in UP. Law and order situation has completely been destroyed and the UP government is responding in a very casual way towards it”.
Sharma met the family members and expressed condolences.
“He (Pandit) was like my brother and I was emotionally attached with him. I will ensure that he gets justice,” Sharma said.
Sharma said he had spoken to Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.