While applying for bail in a Delhi court on Tuesday, AAP MLA Somnath Bharti alleged that the police had registered an attempt to murder case against him due to “political motives” and the case was, in fact, a “BJP-sponsored litigation”.
Bharti, who is facing charges of domestic violence and attempt to murder, based on a police complaint filed by his wife Lipika, was arrested on September 29.Bharti’s counsel Vijay Aggarwal told Additional Sessions Judge Anil Kumar that the domestic violence case against Bharti had been blown out of proportion and there was no requirement for his judicial custody, as he had continued to cooperate with the investigation agency during its probe.
The court will pass its order on Bharti’s bail plea on Wednesday.
- Row between AAP govt and cops in Somnath Bharti’s domestic violence case
- Somnath Bharti in judicial custody till Oct 19, Lipika says no to mediation
- Somnath Bharti’s wife refuses mediation, SC asks him to file fresh bail plea before trial court
- Domestic violence case: Somnath Bharti sent to jail till tomorrow
- AAP leader Somnath Bharti arrested in domestic violence case
- Arvind Kejriwal should stand behind his loyalist like Modi: Somnath Bharti’s lawyer
“I am an MLA and have to look after the work of my constituency. I have deep roots in the society and if granted bail, I will not flee from justice. This court can impose conditions while granting bail. I will join the investigation as and when called by the investigation officer and there is no point of influencing the witnesses. If the court wants, it can bar me from leaving Delhi or it can confine me at my residing place…,” stated Bharti.
The prosecution told the court that the AAP leader, if granted bail, could influence witnesses. “In case he is enlarged on bail, he would influence the witnesses as he is a very influential man. There are witnesses who are not coming forward to depose because of his influence. Granting him bail will hamper the investigation, which is at a primitive stage,” claimed the prosecution.