Delhi High court today protected controversial AAP MLA Somnath Bharti from arrest by directing the police not to take any coercive steps till pronouncement of judgement on his plea for anticipatory bail in a case of domestic violence lodged by his wife.
Before rising for the day, Justice Suresh Kait extended the protection from arrest to Bharti, granted on September 15, saying “there is no time left to pronounce the order. So, till then, no coercive steps be taken against Bharti.”
- Domestic violence: Court issues warrant against AAP MLA Somnath Bharti
- Delhi HC allows Somnath Bharti, his wife to settle matrimonial dispute
- Somnath Bharti tells Delhi HC he wants to settle dispute with wife
- Domestic violence case: Somnath Bharti sent to jail till tomorrow
- Four hours after SC deadline, AAP MLA Somnath Bharti surrenders at Dwarka police station
- If Somnath Bharti is so keen to appear before police, we should turn him over, says HC
The court, which reserved the order on anticipatory bail, declined the police’s request to withdraw the protection given to him from arrest, asked what has the police done till today as the FIR was lodged on September 9.
“You (Police) failed to arrest him(Bharti) when he was not given protection from arrest by this court,” the judge said.
The court also expressed concern saying it was conscious about the complainant and her children.
“Keeping in mind that the two children are suffering (due to the matrital discord) this matter needs some reconsideration,” it said.