Her parents hardly had any resources to pay for school or tuition fees. But that did not deter Surbhi Sharma, a student of Government Girls Senior Secondary School, Room Nagar, from dreaming big.
The announcement of the CBSE Class XII results on Thursday was a moment of “pride and exhilaration” for her and she scored 96.4 per cent, becoming the topper Humanities in Delhi’s government schools.
“I have been unemployed for a while, so I could never really afford to send her for tuitions. But she studied diligently on her own and the result is for all to see,” Surbhi’s father Raj Kumar Sharma, who repairs electronic equipment for a living, said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“I made sure that I studied a couple of hours every day. Now, I now want to do Psychology Honours from either Daulat Ram College or Lady Shri Ram College,” Surbhi said.
With a perfect 100 in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Economics, Sarthak Agrawal from DPS, Vasant Kunj, was not only the top scorer in Delhi, but also the country topper.
“I was expecting a good score since I had worked hard. But I never expected to score so much, or top the exam,” Sarthak told Newsline.
Incidentally, Sarthak never went to a coaching institute, relying solely on hard work. Now, he plans to to pursue Economics Honours either from SRCC or St Stephen’s.
G Harishankaran from Air Force Bal Bharati School in Central Delhi topped the Commerce stream in Delhi region with 99.2 per cent marks — a perfect 100 in accountancy, business studies and economics.
“This is unbelievable. My parents had faith in me from the very beginning. I am happy that I didn’t disappoint them,” Harishankaran told Newline.