With a just a few months to go for the Assembly elections,Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party announced its first shortlist of 44 candidates for Delhis 12 constituencies. Prominent members Manish Sisodia and Shazia Ilmi also made it to the shortlist.
Most of the candidates have been listed as businessmen and introductions for many say they have participated in AAP protests. Other specifics regarding profession and property were vague. Asked about specifics,Kejriwal said,It will be on our website shortly.
Shortlisted candidates include members of Delhi government disaster management committee,former Bharatiya Janata Party and Congress workers. A property dealer,an IIT graduate,an organiser of sports competitions in Najafgarh,businessmen,retired defence personnel,engineers,RTI activists,a CPI (ML) member,unsuccessful candidates contesting councillors elections,a car cleaner,the chief of dargah Matka Peer and a gym owner also figure in the list.
Kejriwal said 106 people had applied for the seats,of which 44 were shortlisted by the candidate screening committee. The 12 finalists would be declared by June 15.
The objective was to ensure that these people were popular local faces and did not have criminal cases registered against them. We request the public to give us evidence against the shortlisted candidates, Kejriwal said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
He also said the party had collected Rs 2 crore through donations and had received $100 from NRIs.
The candidates will participate in debates in their constituencies and will be elected by party volunteers,Kejriwal said. Even senior AAP members,including Sisodia and Ilmi could be voted out if other contenders from their constituency were more popular.
Kejriwal claimed that six chief minister candidates from BJP had approached him,asking for support for one candidate. They told me that if even one was declared CM,they would support me, he said without taking names.
And their declarations
Education: Diploma in Journalism
Property: One house each in Vasundhara and Pandav Nagar
Record: Cases registered during protests
Constituency: RK Puram
Education: MA in Journalism
Work experience: Star News,Zee News and Times of India
Property: Owns a flat with her husband,stake in husbands ancestral property
Constituency: Greater Kailash
Record: Case against husband over property dispute
Constituency: Malviya Nagar
Education: IIT graduate,lawyer
Credentials: Fighting case for youth falsely implicated during Dec 16 gangrape protests
Gulab Singh Yadav
Work experience: Organises sports competition in Matiala
Manas Kumar Rajan
Constituency: R K Puram
Education: Has an MBA
Used to live abroad. Came to India when Anna Hazare was sent to Tihar.