The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) declared its sixth list for the Lok Sabha elections on Saturday, naming Shazia Ilmi as its candidate from Ghaziabad, and taking the total number of declared candidates to 242.
The list of 55 also names Soni Sori, who had joined the party recently, as its candidate from Bastar.
With Ilmi’s candidature, the party hopes to have capped the controversy that has surrounded the AAP leader after she tweeted that she “had never agreed” to contest against Congress President Sonia Gandhi from Rae Bareilly.
Though party leaders had confirmed that she had refused the Rae Bareily offer, they insisted that this was only because Ilmi felt that she was not familiar with the constituency, and wanted to be near Delhi because of her daughter’s exams.
On Saturday, an exultant Ilmi said, “This is a big responsibility and a challenge and we are up for the task. I will take up the AAP cause in Ghaziabad.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
A month after she officially joined the party, the AAP has also given the Bastar ticket to Soni Sori. Sori had levelled allegations of torture by security personnel who had arrested her for her alleged links with Maoists in Chhatisgarh.
Around a month ago, Sori had confirmed to The Indian Express that she would contest the elections, and had said that she would fight for the cause of “tribals in the area”.
The list also names Kanchan Choudhary Bhattacharya, India’s first woman Director Genral of Police, who will fight from the Haridwar constituency. The list includes seats in 13 states and three union territories.