SC seeks govt’s response on Kazmi bail plea

The Supreme Court on Friday sent notices to the Central and Delhi governments,seeking their response on the bail plea of journalist Syed Mohammad Kazmi who has completed six months in custody in connection with the bomb attack on an Israeli embassy vehicle in New Delhi on February 13.

Written by Express News Service | New Delhi | Published: September 8, 2012 12:50:16 am

The Supreme Court on Friday sent notices to the Central and Delhi governments,seeking their response on the bail plea of journalist Syed Mohammad Kazmi who has completed six months in custody in connection with the bomb attack on an Israeli embassy vehicle in New Delhi on February 13.

Tal Yehoshua Koren,the 42-year-old Israeli official, suffered multiple injuries when a man on a motorcycle attached a magnetic explosive device to her car. It detonated seconds after he sped away. Kazmi was arrested on March 6 for his alleged role in the bombing.

“We submitted a special leave petition to the Supreme Court around 10 days ago. We were not given a hearing at the sessions court or the High Court. The apex court will now hear our bail plea on September 14. On the same day,it will also decide on our special leave petition,” Kazmi’s counsel Mahmood Paracha said.

Kazmi had earlier challenged the High Court order which stated that till it decided the question of law relating to power of magistrates to deal with cases lodged under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act,the court of the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate would handle such cases.

The Delhi Union of Journalists,which briefed the media on behalf of Kazmi on Friday,accused the Delhi Police of “biased investigation”.

S K Pande,president of the journalists’ union, said an independent commission,comprising journalists and retired judges,would be formed to look into the case.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App

Share your thoughts
Advertisement